Household packing tips 101
Packing is part of every moving. It does not matter if it is local moving or a long distance moving, you cannot escape from the packing. So, what you will definitely need are household packing tips, especially if you do not have any experience at all. It is an essential step and if you are moving, you should start early with it. If you want your belongings to arrive safely to your new home and without any damaging, follow these steps below.
Simple household packing tips to know
Packing should be fun, stressless, and simple. So, our tips are perfect for that job. Planning a move is very stressful life event but learn how to manage it successfully. Here you can learn everything you must know about household packing.
Start on time
You should start early, so you can pack little by little. It is much easier because you will not be preoccupied. When you start on time, you will have time for everything else and you will not forget to pack anything. If you are packing alone (without a moving company) it will take longer than usual. You should start a month before moving, but it all depends on how big your house is and how many items you have. But, beware because many people underestimate the number of their items.
Sort your household items
Of course, you will not move everything. Your new home will be different from your previous one. So, some of your furniture will not fit in. Also, if you are moving to a hot and sunny state, for example, Florida or Nevada, you will not need winter clothes such as jackets and boots. Before you start packing your belongings, sort them and decide what to take and what not to take. Things you do not need you can toss or donate them before moving. Make these three categories and after that, you will know exactly how many items you have to pack.
Collect packing supplies
Now when you know the amount of all your items, you will know the amount of packing supplies. Collect enough moving boxes and wrapping material. You can purchase moving boxes, or if you want to save money, collect them for free at local stores or supermarkets. Also, you will need air bubble foil, newspapers, and duct tape.
Start with packing
You have the equipment for packing, you know what to pack, you have your household packing tips, so start with packing.
- First pack things you will not need before moving. Usually, people start with the basement or attic. Also, pack kitchen appliances you do not need right now and off-season clothing or Christmas decoration.
- Pack your valuables such as jewelry and documents in a special box.
- 2 weeks before moving you can start slowly with packing your clothing, shoes, plates, decoration, etc. But, of course, do not pack all your clothing.
- In the end, leave the items you are using every day or almost every day. Non-perishable food, makeup, the rest of clothes, etc.
Label your boxes
Each box should be labeled, especially box with a fragile item. When packing, it is important to think about the next step. It will be much easier when it is time to unpack all those boxes. You will know exactly what is inside, without opening them. Also, when on the box is a sign “fragile” you will carry that box with special attention. Or, if you are moving with a moving company, they will know that those boxes need special treatment.
Do not overpack the box
It is important not to overpack the box. Why? Household items can be damaged or broken and that is the last thing you want. The safety of your household items is the most important thing.
Packing an essential box
Imagine the situation you need toothpaste and you have to search for it for a very long time. It will drive you crazy. To prevent this situation, you should pack an essential box. It is a box that you will open immediately after moving, something during the moving too. What you will pack inside, depends on your needs and habits. The most usual items are:
- Personal hygiene supplies such as toothpaste, toothbrush, hand soap, shampoo.
- Cleaning supplies to clean new home. Remember to pack new and unopened cleaning supplies.
- Clean bedsheets, pillows and anything you need for the first night in your new home.
- Pack some clothes for a few days.
- If you are moving kids, pack food, clothing, and toys for them.
Do not pack all your things
You should know that some items are forbidden to move. Especially if you are moving to another state or it is a long-distance move. What not to pack is also a part of household packing tips.
- For example, do not pack hazardous items. That means it is not recommended to pack opened cleaning supplies, explosive materials, flammable materials, etc. It is dangerous for you, your items, and people around.
- One of the important household packing tips is not to pack perishable food. A solution for that is to eat all your food (or the most food) you have in the freezer before moving.
- Packing and moving plants is possible only if it is a local move. Not only it is bad for your plants, but also, maybe some plants are forbidden in other countries.
- That is also a rule for some pets, especially if you own some type of exotic pet.
Well, now when you know to pack all your items and when you have all these household packing tips with you, your packing can start. We hope that we helped you make your packing a little bit easier. Start on time and be prepared, that is key to successful packing.