How to pack your fridge before moving
When you’re relocating, you realize that moving house comes with many more tasks and things to think about than you’d imagined. It’s only once you start packing and organizing the move that you realize how many things you need to figure out. One of the things you probably hadn’t thought about before is preparing your fridge for the move. There are a few things you should do in order to properly pack your fridge before moving. If you’re not sure about the steps you need to take to get the fridge ready, we’ll help you out. You can count on our Dallas movers to carry and transport your fridge if that’s what you need. But other than that, we’ll also give you some tips to help you pack the refrigerator.
Try to use up all the food in your fridge before moving
First of all, your fridge is probably full of food that you simply can’t take with you when moving. There are certain items you can pack, but more on that later. In case you’ve got a lot of food in your fridge, you’ll need to get creative. Before the moving day arrives, you should try to use up as much food as possible. Therefore it’s a good idea to come up with some meal ideas that enable you to use up all the different ingredients that you have.
This is the first step in packing your fridge for moving. So, start looking up recipes and figure out how to make the most of the food you have. If you physically can’t eat all the food you have before the move, invite some friends over for dinner and combine the useful and the pleasant.
Get rid of the food you don’t use up
Something that you need to keep in mind is that you can’t take perishable or frozen food with you when moving. If you’re working with movers in Rockwall TX, you’re not allowed to bring perishable items into the moving truck. That’s why you need to get rid of the food that you didn’t manage to use up before moving. Here’s what you can do.
- Give food to your family or friends. If the food is still okay to use, why waste it? Instead of throwing it out, give it to your family members or your friends.
- Throw out expired products. If there are items that are expired or that are about to expire, it’s best to throw them out.
- Donate food. If you want to do a good dead while packing your fridge for the move, you can donate some of it to a local food bank. Though you can’t donate things that require refrigeration, you can donate some other food that you haven’t eaten. Inform yourself and help out those in need.
Pack cans into boxes
The good news is that you don’t have to get rid of all the food you don’t eat before moving day. Instead, you can keep your canned food that you haven’t opened yet. The good thing about canned food is that it won’t go bad if it’s not refrigerated and it won’t make a mess inside the moving truck. If you want to do that and not donate the cans, you can pack them up and get them to your new home.
Make sure to take them out of the fridge and then put the cans in a box. You can use cardboard boxes or green crates, whatever you prefer. Simply stack the cans inside the box, seal the box properly and you’re good to go. As you can see, it’s easy to pack your fridge before moving, you just need to know which items you can and can’t bring. Once the cans are packed, you can move on to cleaning the fridge.
Clean your fridge and take it apart
One of the steps to take if you want to properly pack your fridge before moving is to give it a thorough clean. Take the time to make your fridge spotless. Clean both the inside and the outside of the fridge to prepare it for moving. Here are some things you should do when cleaning the refrigerator.
- Clean the inside of the fridge and remove the shelves, trays and drawers. This will keep all the parts safe and make it easier to move the fridge.
- Wrap the shelves and trays and pack them in a sturdy box. It’s important to protect them from damages as they are difficult to replace.
- Clean the outside of the fridge and remove the magnets off of the door.
- Pack the magnets in a bag or a box. For extra protection, wrap them in packing paper or bubble pack.
Get some help when moving the fridge
Moving bulky furniture and appliances is never a one-person job. Because things like your refrigerator are large and heavy, it’s not a good idea to try and move it alone. After all, you shouldn’t strain yourself and risk getting moving injuries. That’s why after you pack your fridge before moving, it’s smart to ask someone to give you a hand with loading the fridge onto the truck. Gather a few friends and do it as a team or hire movers Allen TX to help you relocate the fridge. Whatever you choose to do, the important thing is that you’re not moving the fridge alone.
Protect your fridge from damages
Once you pack your fridge before moving, it’s time to figure out how you’re going to get it to your new home. As we’ve said, it’s best to ask a few friends or professional movers for help. But an extra piece of advice is to make sure your fridge is protected in transport. You can cover it with a plastic cover or even a sheet or blanket. This will keep the refrigerator safe from scratches and damages.