Moving heavy furniture – how to do it right?
Everyone knows that moving is a difficult and challenging process. But have you ever wondered which part of this process is the most difficult? Of course, the answer will differ from person to person. However, the biggest percentage of people who are trying to move by themselves (without hiring a moving company) will probably opt for moving heavy furniture. And yes, disassembling it, packing it, getting it out of the home, loading it into a truck, and all that the other way around does sound scary. However, moving heavy items is not only difficult but it can also be very dangerous. It is also the most probable reason why people are hiring moving companies in Lewisville TX for their relocation needs. If you, however, decide to do it on your own, here is how you should do it.
Moving heavy furniture alone is not recommended – Find some help
Primarily, you need to find someone who will help you. Moving heavy furniture alone is practically impossible. Call your friend or your neighbor. If you cannot find anyone, movers Euless TX are always at your disposal. Waiting for your call.
Apply proper lifting techniques
If you are doing it for the first time, you should first learn about proper lifting techniques. Lifting without thinking will certainly lead to injury. So remember to lift with your legs, not your back, bend your knees not your waist.
Moving heavy furniture requires some preparations
There are certain items that you should prepare if you want to ease this process. Here is what you should prepare:
- Prepare a set of tools. Moving heavy furniture is much easier if you disassemble it. Of course, you need to have at least a basic knowledge of using those tools and how the furniture is constructed.
- Prepare bubble plastic and moving blankets to protect it from damage. Or, you can hire packing services TX. They will pack your furniture in their own packing materials so you do not have to bother with this.
- Furniture sliders can be a good option for moving heavy pieces through your home. It will allow you to slide it and protect your floors. Alternatively, you can use an old towel or a blanket that will also do the job.
- Rent or buy a dolly that will help you move bulkier items easier.
- Furniture moving straps are also a good option, especially if you cannot find a dolly.
- Visit the Home Depot Tool Rental Center and rent a loading ramp that will allow you to load heavy furniture into a truck without lifting it.
- Do not forget to get some protective gear for yourself. Wear work gloves while you are carrying furniture to protect your fingers.
Survey your route before you begin
Before you start carrying out your boxes and furniture, stop and think. Even though this seems like a straightforward process, the order in which you will bring out your stuff is very important. Moving heavy furniture requires a lot of space. Therefore, you shouldn’t clutter your hallways, stairways, and walkways with boxes and other smaller things. The furniture goes into a truck first, so it should be the first to get out of your home.
Experienced movers always advise people to check the route through which they will carry bulky items. Scan the route, identify all possible problems and eliminate them if possible.