Questions to ask before renting a storage unit in Plano
Are you moving to a new place or renovating your current home? If so, it’s only natural that you need a place where you can store some of your things for a while. Even if you’re not moving, maybe you’d just like to free up some space in your house. Whatever the reason may be, renting a storage unit is a great decision. It’s a great way to hold on to your belongings, without having the clutter in your house. But because there are many moving companies McKinney TX that offer storage services, you need to be careful when choosing. That’s why you should know what you’re supposed to learn about a storage rental company before signing the contract. That’s why we’re here today. We want to tell you about the questions you should ask before renting a storage unit in Plano and ensure that you’re making the right decision.
What kinds and sizes of storage units do you offer?
Depending on what you’re storing and how much stuff you’re planning on putting in the storage unit, you’ll need a specific kind of storage unit. Luckily, there are a lot of different kinds of storage units. Your job is to figure out what you’re looking for in a storage facility. Once you know what you need, it’s time to check which moving companies Plano TX offer the type of storage unit that serves you best.
- Check if the company offers storage units of the size that you need. Storage units aren’t a ”one size fits all” kind of thing. They come in different sizes, so you should figure out how much stuff you can and how big of a storage unit you need.
- Are you looking for on-site storage or portable storage units? Of course, the size of the storage unit matters, but it’s not the only thing that counts. If you’d like a portable storage unit, for example, you should find a company that offers those. On the other hand, if you don’t mind taking trips to the storage facility, then renting a storage unit in Plano will be even easier.
- Do you need long-term or short-term storage? Depending on why you’re looking for extra storage, you might need it for a longer or a shorter time. So, check with the company if they have appropriate deals.
- Does the company have climate-controlled storage? Climate-controlled storage units are necessary for things like antiques, wood, instruments, art, electronics, etc. So, if you’re storing something that needs protection in the form of climate control, it’s essential to ask the company about this.
Before I rent the storage unit in Plano, can I inspect it?
One of the crucial things crucial before renting storage in Plano is seeing the unit for yourself. It’s important to see what condition the storage units are and if there are any issues. For example, you should check the humidity levels inside the unit and inspect it for signs of mold and pests. If there are any issues, moving on is for the best. That’s why one of the questions you should ask before signing the contract is if you can visit the storage facility and inspect the storage units. If the staff is hesitant to let you inspect storage before renting it, take it as a red flag.
What kind of security systems do the storage units have?
When you’re putting things away in a storage unit in Plano TX, one of your biggest priorities is the safety of your items. Well, that’s why reliable storage units have great security systems in place in order to ensure that nothing happens to your belongings. So, before renting a storage unit in Plano, you should check what kind of security they provide. Here’s what these security systems can include:
- CCTV cameras
- security fencing and front-gate access
- access that requires a code, a key or a card
- security alarms in each storage unit
- good lighting
- managers who monitor who’s visiting the premises
These are some of the common security measures you can expect. But, there’s no harm in asking the storage manager, just in case.
When can I access my storage unit?
When you’re storing your items out of your home, they obviously are a little harder to access. Not only are they farther away, but you also need to consider the working hours and days of the storage facility. If you need to be able to access your belongings at all times, you want a storage facility that allows that. So, before you get storage in Plano, you should check when the storage facility is open and available. Check the working hours, if they are open on the weekends and on holidays.
How do you maintain the storage units?
As we’ve said, it’s important that the storage is in good condition when you’re renting it. However, you want to be sure that the storage units in Texas will remain in good shape while your belongings are stored away. That’s why you should ask the storage manager how they are maintaining the storage units. What are they doing to keep the storage safe from mildew, pests, rodents, leakages, etc? Will your belongings be in a safe space when you rent storage in Plano?
Ask about the prices before renting storage units in Plano
It goes without saying that renting a storage unit in Plano requires you to pay for the space you’re getting. However, something that isn’t as obvious is how much the different Dallas movers are charging for their storage services.
There are many companies that offer storage units, so it can be hard to choose. Something that can help you, though, is comparing the prices of the different facilities. Check how much you’ll be paying monthly, as well as if there are any additional charges other than rent.
Do you offer insurance?
Insuring the things you’re storing away isn’t a bad idea at all. But something you should check before renting a storage unit in Plano is if the storage rental company offers insurance. If not, they still might require you to get insurance for your things elsewhere. So, learn all about storage insurance and know that you might need to get special insurance for your valuables.